Monday, March 21, 2011

Ciao Milano! January 2007


My apartment is cute and convenient to the subway and school.  I'm on a 4th floor of a 8 floor building. While its not the most charming Milanese in architecture, it is considered pretty spacious for Milan standards. It's a 2 bedroom apt with 1 bath, with a living room, foyer and kitchen.  There is an antique chandelier in front of typical European windows that open to the smoking balcony over oversized black and white tiles.  All in all, I'm very pleased.  I even have 2 elevators.  I have yet to engage in the drunken elevator races yet, but I'm sure it's in the future. 

I fended off the the jet lag, and it was time to seize Milan night life with the roomie and other expats.  Saturday, we went to a cafe with a secretive underground room, La Sacrada.  So far every cocktail in Milan has been double the size compared to ones in the states.  For a person with a low tolerance, this is not an ideal situation.  Simply stated, I was not ready to make BFF with the porcelain goddess.

Of course I was timid to speak having been in Italy for a few hours, but by the time en route to the disco, il mio Italian was flowing.  Liquid courage always helps. But no matter the amount of alcohol, I was not prepared for all the mullets. It is not a myth and very fashionable.  And yes, some men still like the snake belts and shaved heads-WHY? 

For the most part, I hung around with the expats.  Here is a good time to issue a word of caution.  Italian guys don't always walk you home out of the goodness of their heart.  They expect a good night kiss.  Note to self: make sure you clarify the classic cheek pecks are all he is going to get.

Sunday was a recovery day.  I slept from 8am until 5pm-what would have been a whole day at work just a week ago.  Then I got invited to a playoff party with American models.  Apparently there are plenty of "industry" people that frequent this bar-Fiori in Brera.  At some point, a couple of us grew tired of the "Industry" questions so one guy said he was a personal shoe cobbler exclusive to Armani.  My best response was that I am the spokesmodel for soy sauce. Ignorance is bliss and use it to your advantage.
The Pats playoff game started at close to midnight and ended at 4am.  If I want to watch the Superbowl, it will be the same scenario.  They are telling me that the Oscars might be something similar too!  This is the life of an ex-pat.   Just when I thought the World Cup in Korea was inconvenient to watch in the states....

No comments:

Post a Comment