Monday, March 21, 2011

I Miss Trader Joe's and My Car


Monday I had my first supermarket experience.  Unfortunately I still have a leg brace for another couple weeks.  The thought of even walking a few blocks with a bridge is dreadful, but with groceries too!

The first section to greet you is produce.  There is a system in place.  Italians can be fanatical about germs some times, unnecessarily.  There are no hand sanitizers but you must wear gloves and pick your items appropriately.  But you need to weigh your fruits and vegetables, punch in the codes and sticker them.  It was a good way to learn the names of things that are more complicated and not friendly with English.  



Next if you don't bring your own mode of transportation for the goods, you must accurately estimate how many bags you'll need so you can be charged appropriately.  I actually appreciate the environmental approach to not having excess plastic bags.  Forget the bagger boys too as you will have to load it up on your own.

At the end of the adventure, I was hauling a suitcase full of groceries 1/2 mile over cobblestone streets without ramps.  Needless to say, I'd have to think someone online grocery site would do well here, but they don't!

Later on, I figured out that the best produce shopping is done in the outdoor market!





No comments:

Post a Comment