Monday, March 21, 2011

It’s Really Happening-I’m moving to Italy!





"Le falta" is a key phrase when trying to fit your life into a suitcase and move across the ocean.  My dear friends/miracle workers Eyrela and Mariela helped me pack my suitcases and organize my room.  They had their sophisticated system of weighing anything going into the suitcase.   Then 2 nights before I left, we did a "dry run."  My mom parked curbside while we performed the ceremonial "weighing of the baggage."   

For the most part, we were underweight by just a couple of ounces with the exception of my excess baggage with a 70 lb max limitation.  Mine was under by 2 lbs.  Although clever, this packing system is not patented, nor true science.  Naturally, we encountered other travelers who were basically preparing for their weigh-in, applying the same principles. 
When the friendly travelers noticed that my baggage was under by 2lbs, she exclaimed with excitement "le falta," while gesturing we can fit more in.

At that point, only my makeup and jewelry, along with other odds and ends still needed to be packed.  Yet before finishing up, in my typical fashion, I squeezed in my “Cenacolo” aka Last Supper, along with a not-so-early night of cocktails.   I paid dearly with a sleepless night of additional packing.  After a long trip, inclusive of a four hour layover, I finally reached Milano early Saturday evening.  I arrived jet lagged, but stood ready to enjoy my first taste of Milano nightlife at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment